To empower communities with the knowledge, skills, strategies, and self confidence to form and successfully run their own community based programs by supporting the well-being of vulnerable and at-risk children.
A world in which all children have the opportunity to explore, express, and connect with their identity through art and play
To empower communities with the knowledge, skills, and strategies, to form and successfully run their own programs by supporting the well-being of their children
Community Development is as successful as the model that is used. The United Nations defines Community Development as “a process where community members come together to take collective action and generate solutions to common problems.”
The goal of Community Development is to empower individuals and groups of people by providing them with the skills they need to effect change they want within their communities.
Coming together to support vulnerable children through programming that works. We support a sustainable and developmental approach, as opposed to a charitable response.
The Big Little Caravan of Joy (arts programming)
The Big Little Caravan of Joy is the arts arm of our organization. We are currently running year-round and specialty arts- and play-based programming in several countries in Africa, and in First Nations and Métis communities across Ontario, Manitoba, and British Columbia. Through these programs, we are able to bring thousands of deserving children powerful arts experiences designed to engage, educate, and empower.
South African Community Support
We partner directly with three communities: Christianenburg, Sithokozise, Siyawela/Zamimpilo. These three communities independently and faithfully care for hundreds of orphans on a daily basis by providing: nutrition, early childhood education, home visits, and enrichment education around technology and arts,
Childhood Now in training allows communities to run their own community based organizations (CBOs). We are proud to partner with these communities as they continue to care for so many deserving children.
Athletes in Motion
We partner with Athletes in Motion (AIM) to engage children in all three of our partner South African communities in a week long sports and leadership camp.
HOW IT WORKS
Community Council + Steering Committee + Staff & Volunteers + Childhood Now
- chooses to participate
- creates a Steering Committee to oversee the entire project
- establishes a budget and reporting process
Staff and Volunteers:
- implement the model
- comprised of community leaders (local community leaders, community nurse, school – principal, keenly interested community members)
- self-identifies their most pressing needs (within the model)
- identifies positions that require paid staff and recruits them to implement the model
- recruits an appropriate number of volunteers to assist
- works with the Health and Education professionals in the community to support their mission
- leads training with Community Council, Steering Committee, staff and volunteers
- assists the Committee, staff and Volunteers to set up and implement the programs
- provides on-going support such as training, access to expertise, materials, coaching, etc.